Monday, December 4

Worried about a student . . .

I have a student this year in my 4th grade math class who troubles me. She is having a very rough year and has a very fragile sense of self-esteem. Without getting into too much detail, she has a health issue which pretty much guarantees that she has gained and will continue to gain a huge amount of weight during her adolescence. Her brother is now in his mid-20s and has the same condition. She has seen him go through it and knows what is in store for her. He is now able to control his weight but until he finished with puberty, he gained and gained and gained. She also has learning problems that make it hard for her to learn so here she is fat, knowing she'll get fatter, and she feels stupid. Now, she is NOT stupid but she feels that way because of the learning issues. Her mind isn't on her work anyway with all this other stuff going on (plus some deaths in her extended family which aren't helping her at all). Anyway, she's having a rough, rough time. We are providing a network of support for her and I hope it's helping. During Math this morning, she completely melted down and had to go to the office. Our principal used to be the district psychologist and has taken on helping this girl through this time. So, I know she's getting help -- the family also has her in counseling -- but man, oh, man do I feel for her. I wish I could infuse her brain with math knowledge so that she'd feel more confident about ONE little thing in her life. It just plain ol' sucks!

No comments: